3D Scanners are used for scanning 3D Objects/Subjects for the purpose of 3D Modelling, Orthotics & Prosthetics, Shoe design, Entertainment, Art and Conservation, Reverse Engineering, Wood working and Medical/Healthcare .
Following 3D scanners are available:
Portable 3D Scanner-FastSCAN:
FastSCAN is the popular hand-held 3D scanner made by Polhemus. It is de-facto industry standard for Orthotics & Prosthetics 3D scanning. it is also used for Film Entertainment, Archeology, Wood-Working, Artwork, Forensics, Reverse Engineering & Prototyping. It is extremely easy to use, convenient to carry 3D scanner for scanning Non-metallic objects or subjects and outputs watertight 3d Scans in industry standard file formats like obj, 3ds, stl, lwo, igs, ascii ,dxf and many others including optional aaop file format. It is the only scanner available that can compensate for movements of the surface being scanned. It comes in 2 variants as below and many accessories to enhance the functionalities of the scanner:
Full Body Scanners:
Full body scanners are used to capture 3D scans of the whole body for making 3D Avatars for Virtual Reality and Games, for making 3D models of Actors through 3D scans for Visual Effects, for Biomechanics modeling of subject, Apparel designing, anthropometric database of populations etc.. There are 2 products available:
- Tower Type scanner with 3 or 4 towers by Scanny 3D:
This is a single Camera 3D Scanner, that is good enough for scanning surfaces with simple contours and less complex details.
FastSCAN Scorpion is 2 Camera models that quickly scans surfaces with complex details as each sweeps captures more data from each of it's 2 independent cameras.
- This scanner is laser based and full body scans are taken with 3 or 4 towers, working together. Optional HD Camera option appows Texture capture.
Enclosed Type 3D Scanners:
These type of scanners are good for scanning limited size objects, that can be put inside the box, on a rotating base, and do not have very intricate geometry. Following models are available.
- Scanny 3D-Base:
- This is base model with 200 mm dia and 350 mm height scan space. Color, high speed and high resolution options available.
- Scanny 3D Max:
- This has larger scan space of 300mm dia and 500 mm height. Color, high speed and high resolution options available.
- Scanny 3D Mini:
- Stylus helps in marking points and lines of interest on the surface, that are exported as part of the scan.
- Stylus-Optical:The optical stylus, like the mecha nical, also gives you the ability to create 3D landmarks within your digitized surface model. There is an additional piece of hardware added to the 3D scanning wand
- This has lesser scan space of 120mm dia and 200mm height. Color, high speed and high resolution options available.
- Scanny 3D Surf:
- that, when initialized, gives you the ability to place landmarks on the surface of the object you are scanning using a non-contact laser dot.RBF Utility software: Radial Basis Function (RBF) utility software offers powerful benefits to your 3D basic surface scan:
- Automatic hole filling - solid surface rendering of areas of your scan for which you did not collect complete data (such as deep into an ear canal, for example, if you were to scan an ear).
- Smooth extrapolation of surfaces – using the normals of known points collected during your scan, RBF algorithms generate predictive trajectories for use in hole filling that might otherwise be closed with a simplified linear surface between known points. The result is a watertight surface rendering that mirrors the object you've scanned more completely.
- Mesh simplification with scan detail preservation Export capability for guaranteed closed, watertight meshes
- RBF Mesh is characterized by more uniform triangles
- Enhanced Low Pass filtering (smoothing) of scan
- Sweep Registration: Small errors associated with the sweeps (e.g. slight object movement), may be corrected through a process of sweep registration. The process, once initialized, is fully automatic and takes just a few seconds.
- Refraction Correction: This option provides you with a parameter setting specifically designed to meet the needs of those who need to scan an object, perhaps dynamically or under load,on a sheet of glass.
- AAOP file format: AAOP, a standard in much of the Orthotic and Prosthetic community, is a medical file export format which uses a cylindrical co-ordinate system. The user must define a central axis about which the object is defined. Points on the surface are then defined in slices and at fixed angles (as set by the user) along the central axis.
- DELTA Software:
- Delta is advanced comparative software for the Polhemus FastSCAN™ family of handheld laser scanners. Developed to simplify the process of creating surface and volume measurements on complex 3D shapes, Delta works directly with files generated by FastSCAN systems. Delta provides complete workflow solutions to many complex problems. .